Are you Jewish? Are you looking for Jewish senior services in the Washington, DC area? Services for elderly Jewish people in Washington, DC range from housing assistance and hospice care to senior advocacy and Passover meal preparation and delivery.
Services for Elderly Jewish People in Washington, DC
There are many agencies and organizations that provide services to senior citizens within the Jewish community of Washington DC. While some of the organizations providing services are specific to the Washington area, there are also many that provide services at the national and international levels.
The Jewish Social Service Agency
The Jewish Social Service Agency provides several different types of services for the elderly. Among their services are:
- Premier Home Care
- Transitions care
- Coming of age program
- Programs for senior citizens and their families with a focus on growth and learning, including topics such as You and Your Aging Parents and Newly Widowed Spouses
- Evaluation, treatment, care coordination, and support for senior citizens
- Survivor services and family support for victims of the Holocaust
- Hospice care
The contact telephone number for the Jewish Social Service Agency is 301-816-2633.
B'nai B'rith International
An international organization, B'nai B'rith International provides various services for the senior Jewish community throughout the world. They provide advocacy and education in many areas that affect this age group of the population. Some areas of specialization of this organization include:
- Alzheimer's disease
- Stem cell research
- Medicare Part D
- Income protection
- Aging in place
- Health Care reform
- Senior housing
The B'nai B'rith Project H.O.P.E. in the Washington, DC area collects, packages and distributes food packages to the elderly and poor Jewish members of the community during Passover. The food packages include special holiday foods and Passover staples.
The contact telephone number for B'nai B'rith International is 202-857-6600 in Washington DC or 888-388-4224 (toll-free).
The Washington District of Columbia Jewish Community Center
The Washington District of Columbia Jewish Community Center provides senior citizens with programs and services as part of their Behrend Adas Seniors Program. Seniors enjoy community and fellowship while taking part in:
- Wellness classes
- Day trips to cultural events
- Judaic studies
- Art classes
- Lectures by guest speakers
- Friday Shabbat celebrations with musical entertainment
- Holiday celebrations
- Kosher luncheons
The contact telephone number for The Washington District of Columbia Jewish Community Center is 202-518-9400.
The Jewish Council for the Aging
The Jewish Council for the Aging provides information to seniors concerning age-related issues and helps put them in contact with local resources. The organization offers the following programs:
- Adult day care services at the Misler Center
- A social club for those with early memory loss at the Kensington Club
- Exercise classes
- Senior Tech computer classes
- Consulting services from the National Center for Productive Aging
- Informational services from the Senior Helpline at Home Care Resource Center, The Senior Helpline Gold, and the Community Speakers Bureau
- Transportation assistance with Connect -A-Ride, Smooth Riding and Elder Bus Rentals
The contact number for the Jewish Council for the Aging is 301-244-4200.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington provides support and community services to help elders in the Jewish community. Examples of services include:
- Adult day programs for those with cognitive impairments or physical disabilities
- Transportation assistance
- Various programs on aging
- Senior recreational activities
- Senior lunch programs
- Home-delivered kosher meals
- Informational helpline
- Referral helpline
- Pre-hospice care
- Hospice care
- In-home support
- Geriatric assessments
The telephone number for The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is 301-230-7200.
The following Websites offer additional resources for senior services in DC:
- Jewish Federations of North America
- The Jewish Foundation for Group Homes
- Charles E. Smith Life Communities
- Jewish Information and Referral Service
Warmth and Companionship
The many services for elderly Jewish people in Washington, DC help seniors to maintain their dignity and independence. In addition to the help and assistance provided by the various services, the senior citizens receive warmth and caring companionship from within their community.