Throughout the United States, senior mobile home parks provide seniors with affordable housing in age-restricted communities.
For many of today's seniors, choosing to live in a mobile home park is a low-cost alternative to living in a traditional single family home, retirement community or condominium. Mobile homes, commonly referred to as manufactured homes, are much more affordable than traditional housing options and generally require much less maintenance.
Because of the affordability of mobile homes, many more seniors can enjoy retiring to the warm weather of the South or the West. Those who prefer a relaxed senior community away from the sunny hot weather may find mobile home parks in Vermont, Washington or Ohio more to their liking.
It is not only the affordability of mobile homes that attracts seniors to them. The amenities that are offered in most 55 and over mobile home parks are also a big draw. Most mobile home parks offer many of the same amenities and activities that are found in traditional style age-restricted communities. Naturally, the amenities and activities offered depend on the specific mobile home park and, in some instances, the region of the country where the park is located.
The following are examples of the activities and amenities commonly offered to residents of age-restricted mobile home parks throughout the country:
- Pools (indoor, outdoor and heated)
- Fitness center
- Tennis courts
- Park-like settings with community sundecks and gazebos
- Walking trails
- Billiard room
- Line dancing
- Community luncheons
- Potluck dinners
- Ice cream socials
- Coffee socials
- Dinner dances
- Holiday parties
- Social and hobby clubs
- Water aerobics
- Shuffleboard and shuffleboard tournaments
- Bocce ball courts and tournaments
- Pickleball courts and tournaments
- Craft classes and groups
- Table tennis
- Card games
- Poker tournaments
Additionally, most age-restricted mobile home communities are located near towns, shopping areas and medical centers Many of the locations are adjacent to a golf course or have one nearby. Some of the locations have waterfront property for boating, fishing and enjoying other water activities, while others are located in areas nearby oceans, lakes or rivers. Many 55 and over mobile home parks are gated communities that provide twenty-four hour security for their residents.
Sizes of Mobile Homes
Mobile homes are manufactured in several different sizes, with widths ranging between 8 feet to 18 feet and multi-section ones being as wide as 20 to 42 feet. The length of a mobile home can be as long as 80 feet. The size varies based on the age of the mobile home and the manufacturing company. Examples of common sizes are:
- Single section, known as single wide, commonly measures 76 feet long and 16 feet wide, with a living space of 1,216 square feet
- Double section, usually called double wide, is generally 60 feet in length and 28 feet wide, providing a living area of 1,680 square feet
- Park model mobile homes are smaller, generally having about 400 - 500 square feet of living space
Senior Mobile Home Parks
Many of today's seniors are choosing mobile homes as an inexpensive and sensible housing choice. The following are a few of the many 55 and older mobile home parks located in popular retirement areas of the country.
- Cypress Lakes located in Lakeland, Florida
- Walden Woods located in Homosassa, Florida
- Alligator Park located in Punta Gorda, Florida
- Paradise North located in Phoenix, Arizona
- Bonita Vista Resort located in Apache Junction, Arizona
- Westbrook Senior Village located in Toledo, Ohio
Choosing the Mobile Home Lifestyle
The costs of mobile homes range from as little as several thousand dollars to more than one hundred thousand dollars. Seniors living in mobile home parks must also pay a monthly lease fee that generally includes management and maintenance of all common areas.
With locations all over the country, living in senior mobile home parks is an excellent option for seniors of all ages. Whether you are still in the workforce, retired or a snowbird, choosing a mobile home in an established community as your residence will save you money, while providing you with an active adult community lifestyle that you are sure to enjoy.