It is a very exciting time to be a single senior. Meeting people is even easier these days, and there are plenty of eligible partners out there. Keep in mind that there are no hard and fast rules, but there are certainly general guidelines that can prepare you for the experience of dating and let you know what to expect.
Get into the Swing of Dating
Being a senior citizen doesn't mean an end to your dating life, but rather an exciting beginning of another phase. Many seniors are single and interested in getting back into the dating scene. If you haven't dated in a long time or are unsure if the rules have changed, brushing up on modern dating etiquette can help guide you and make the experience less stressful.
Aside from meeting in person, there are tons of wonderful online forums and dating sites specifically created for seniors. These are great places to meet others who share similar interests, live in your area, and share your ultimate relationship goals. Online dating can be tricky at first, but after some practice, it can be an easy way to meet several potential partners. Keep these guidelines in mind:
- People using the site will have different dating goals, so if it's not stated on their profile, feel free to ask what type of relationship they are looking for.
- It is not uncommon for people to be talking to and dating several people at a time.
- Always beware of online scams - if something does not feel right, go with your gut and never send money, or give away your personal address.
- You can block people who have made you feel uncomfortable and report them to the dating site.
- Regardless of gender, anyone can make the first move.
- Online chatting is an informal way to get to know someone before deciding to go out on a date, so feel free to begin chatting with multiple people.
General Rules and Dating Tips
Dating has changed quite a bit over the past few decades. While it may have been the norm for the man to ask the woman out, it is perfectly normal for either gender to make the first move now. For those interested in same sex dating, there are many places to meet both in person and online. Regardless of who you want to date, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Use flirting to test out the waters. This way you can gauge if someone is interested in you. Keep a lookout for touching, holding eye contact, and lots of smiling.
- Regardless of gender, assume you're going to pick up the check. That way if the other person offers first, you can be pleasantly surprised, and if not, you're prepared to pay for the date.
- If you're meeting for the first time, always choose a public place. That way you can ensure your safety. You should also let a friend know where you will be and what time you expect to be home. Coffee dates are a good choice.
- Always be polite, respectful, and courteous on dates.
- Starting as friends can make the transition to dating easier.
- Have fun and get to know the person you are with.
When it comes to conversation, there are a few things to keep in mind. You may have been through some difficult experiences, but avoid discussing those until you get to know the person. You should also avoid sharing personal medical or financial details as you begin dating. Be positive and be yourself. Ask questions about the other person and keep things lighthearted and fun on the first few dates. Discuss things like hobbies, interests, and favorite restaurants.
The First Kiss
There's no rule on when your first should be, though it will usually only happen after a few dates. Focus on getting to know the person and don't rush the physical aspect. Allow the first kiss to happen naturally and comfortably so you can both enjoy the special moment.
Because the chance of pregnancy drops off with age, many sexually active seniors forgo protection when they have a sexual encounter. However, the rise of sexually transmitted infections has steadily increased over the past several years, so it's important to protect yourself. To keep you and your partner safe, get tested at least once a year, and use condoms if you are unsure of your partner's sexual history.
You Can Make a Meaningful Relationship
While starting to date again may feel daunting at first, dating several people can help you find a compatible match for what type of relationship you are looking for. You never know when you might meet the right person and start a meaningful and fulfilling relationship during this time in your life.