Fortunately, finding a condo in your area for your active lifestyle isn't a chore. Fort Lauderdale senior condominium communities offer seniors lots of activities in a beautiful area of the country often referred to as the Venice of America. South Florida is a very popular place for retirees to settle. There are a number of great condo options for seniors in and around sunny Fort Lauderdale.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
With more than seven miles of beaches and 165 miles of beautiful, scenic, navigable waterways, it is easy to understand how Fort Lauderdale got its nickname. Located on the eastern coast of southern Florida, Fort Lauderdale is just 23 miles north of Miami. With a year-round average temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and winter lows rarely dropping below 60 degrees, Fort Lauderdale is the destination of many seniors during their retirement years.
Two Popular Fort Lauderdale Senior Condominium Communities
Fort Lauderdale, and its many surrounding areas, have many age-restricted senior condominium communities. Generally, the condominiums located in Fort Lauderdale are more expensive than those in the surrounding communities. The following are examples of senior condominium communities in the area.
1. Coral Ridge Towers East
Located between the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean, Coral Ridge Towers East offers seniors an inviting lifestyle in this beachfront community. An age-restricted senior community, residents must be 55 years of age or older. With sixteen stories and 338 units, Coral Ridge East has a large amount of senior housing available.
Residents of Coral Ridge East are only a short walk from the ocean beaches and the gorgeous beachfront promenade filled with shops, sidewalk cafes, various types of entertainment and restaurants. Active seniors can enjoy boating, snorkeling or a host of other water activities, or simply sit back, relax and enjoy the view.
Within Coral Ridge East itself, seniors enjoy:
- A heated 30 by 90 foot pool with temperatures maintained at a comfortable 86 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pool fitness exercise classes
- Recreational activities including cards and bingo
- Social activities including dinner dances, Friday night movies and coffee hour
- A fitness center complete with air conditioning and a TV
- A lending library
- A bike shed for residents to store their bicycles
- A clubhouse perfect for relaxing, social gatherings and private parties
- In-house television channel, to stay up to date on important issues and upcoming events
- Comcast cable included in the monthly maintenance fees
2. Century Village
Located just outside of Fort Lauderdale in Pembrook Pines, Century Village is considered to be one of the most unique age-restricted condominium communities providing residents an active, adult lifestyle. One of the reasons is the low price compared to similar communities located just minutes away in Fort Lauderdale. Amenities at the gated community of Century Village include:
- State of the art health club with a wave walking pool
- Indoor heated lap pool
- 23 outdoor heated pools throughout the community
- An 18-hole golf course
- Jogging and biking trails
- Tennis courts
- Bocce ball courts
- Shuffleboard courts
- Picnic and grilling area
- 135,000 square foot clubhouse
- 1,042 seat theater
- A party room for more than 900 people
- Meeting rooms
- Billiard rooms
- Computer classes
- Arts and crafts
- Clubs including karaoke, camera and dominoes
- Recreational activities including bingo and cards
For more information on senior living options in the region, the following resources provide valuable tips:
If you love the warm Florida sunshine and enjoy an active lifestyle, one of the Fort Lauderdale senior condominium communities may be the perfect place for you to spend your golden years.