Seniors can continue their love affair with reading, even if their eyesight is weakening, with large print books. These books come in a variety of genres and can be borrowed or purchased.
Books printed in large print typically use a size 14 or larger type. Most of these books are reprints of the original size, which was much smaller. Popular best sellers of virtually every genre are usually reprinted in larger fonts, as are some magazines.
Incidentally, teachers and parents sometimes choose large print books to encourage children who are considered poor or struggling readers or who have been diagnosed with learning disabilities.
Benefits of Large Print Books
For the elderly, reading is a popular senior activity that even the bedridden can enjoy. You don't have to be a senior citizen to enjoy reading, but for many elderly, poor eyesight can be limiting. Large print books provide senior citizens an opportunity to continue their beloved hobby. The following benefits are evident for those who use these books.
- Encourages those in nursing homes to maintain an interest in the outside world
- Helps build and maintain vocabulary
- Provides mental stimulation
- Encourages reading comprehension
- Improves reading enjoyment
Book publishers often feature reprints of traditional, classic, and best-selling books in larger font to encourage students and senior citizens to develop and continue a love of reading.
- Thorndike Press - Considered the world's leading publisher of large print books, Thorndike Press first began this practice in 1999. The company continues to publish 1,500 new titles in larger font each year.
- Doubleday Book Club - This book club offers a wide variety of books in large print. Members can join the club and receive a variety of benefits, including 30 percent off publishers' edition prices. Doubleday provides a diverse collection of discount books, including easy-to-read mysteries, romance novels, and self-help books.
- Library Reproduction Service - The Library Reproduction Service offers custom-made, enhanced, large print copies of all published adult education textbooks and materials, in easy-to-use formats.
- Bolinda - According to the company, Bolinda's large print selections, available in both hardcover and softcover editions, are designed for easy reading. Shoppers have the choice of ordering titles and paying online anonymously, or they can join the company's free B Club for additional benefits. This company carries a wide selection of audio books as well, which can make traveling more pleasant.
- Large Print Books - Check out this site for thousands of selections in a myriad of genres.
- Amazon - Amazon offers larger print editions of featured titles in everything from biographies to science fiction.
Finally, you don't have to pay for all of the books you read. Swap books with friends and relatives, and check out your local library for the latest best reads to enjoy. If your library doesn't carry a certain title in larger print, ask if they can order it through a library exchange service or from another branch.