From funny T-shirts and mugs to retirement pills and inflatable walkers, there is a wide selection of humorous retirement gifts to fit the interests, hobbies or personality of the person retiring. Gag gifts can make retirement celebrations even more enjoyable.
Finding the Perfect Funny Retirement Gift
If you know someone who is retiring and has a good sense of humor, giving a funny retirement gift is a great way to bring laughs to the retiree at this special time in life.
Find Gifts That Focus on a New Beginning
Although retirement is a time of ending a life's work, it is also a new beginning: a time when the retiree should relax and enjoy hobbies and interests that may have been put on the back burner during their years of working. For some, retirement means time for traveling, fishing or gardening. Others see it is as a way to enjoy whatever comes.
Choose a Funny Gift That Suits the Retiree's Interests
When you choose a humorous retirement gift, find something that fits the retiree's interests. For example, if the retiree loves to play golf, a set of personalized PARscription golf balls may be the perfect gift choice. The golf ball set found at the Web site, Gifts For You Now, includes six Top-Flite golf balls in two large prescription bottles. The labels on the bottles include the recipient's name, refill information, and dosage instructions and only cost around $15.
Give Sports-Related Humorous Retirement Gifts
Here are a few more ideas for humorous retirement gifts that are sports-related.
- Have a personalized golfer magazine cover printed with the retiree's photograph and customized headlines at Your Cover. Other covers include Retirement Magazine and Your Special Event. A digital cover costs around $10 and a print is around $20.
- If you're pretty sure the retiree will spend a good deal of time watching sports on TV, a pair of socks demanding, "Shh! I'm watching the game!" are available for around $16 on Etsy.
- Now that the retiree can take their time in everyday tasks, a toilet hockey game for around $10 is sure to make them chuckle.
Give Fun Age-Related Retirement Gifts
For most people, retirement comes in the latter years of life, and many funny retirement gifts mock this. Many of these types of gag gifts generally refer to the aches and pains that accompany getting older.
- Party City sells an Over the Hill Old Man Cane that makes a perfect gag gift for the retired man in your life. Available for around $15, it has funny attachments like thick-lens glasses, a horn, a hearing aid, a bottle of happy pills, and an "old man approaching" sign.
- Rayna Designs at Etsy offers Retirement Survival pill bottles for around $10 with labels you can have customized. Fill them with candy pills or mints, and they'll make a hilarious-but-tasty gift.
- EZ Party Zone offers an inflatable walker decorated in an over-the-hill theme that's bound to get a laugh from the retiree. The walker costs around $12.
- The Dr. Seuss book You're Only Old Once!: A Book for Obsolete Children for around $15 will prompt some laughter.
Give Gifts With Humorous Retirement Sayings
There are many websites, such as Zazzle and Café Press, that offer funny retirement sayings and poems on various items, but no store is quite as stocked in retirement gifts bordering on raunchy as Spencer Gifts. Offerings include a gag Do-It-Yourself Prostate Exam for $8 or Memory Mints for Senior Moments for $5.
More Humorous Retirement Gag Gifts
The Retirement Survival Kit makes a fun gift for retirees. Available for around $15, the kit includes a big "No Work" button, a bottle opener, a paddleball to combat boredom, and other knick-knacks. A coffee mug featuring a spinner to help decide how to spend the day (Take a nap? Annoy spouse?) is available on Amazon for around $25.
Gifts for the Spouse
Retirement doesn't just affect the retiree - the spouse has to become accustomed to the "new normal" as well. Sometimes a gift to the spouse can be even funnier than gifts for the person retiring. Consider the "Help! My husband is finally retired and now he is home all day long" t-shirt from Cafe Press for around $15. Or consider a gift basket comprised of noise-canceling headphones, headache medicine, and an eye mask.
Add to the Celebration
Although humorous retirement gifts are not for everyone, most people do enjoy a good laugh and love receiving funny gifts as others share in the celebration of their retirement.