As people age, hair gets thinner, drier and weaker. No need to worry, there are plenty of ways to boost your hair's moisture, volume and strength.
Men and women both can experience thinning hair and hair loss as they get older. Most people report noticing changes in their hair around their 50s and 60s. Medications, infections, thyroid issues, trauma and diseases can all impact hair loss.
If your hair is thinning, try these products for a volumizing boost:
- L'Oreal EverStrong Thickening Shampoo costs about $8 and comes highly rated for improving the appearance of thinning hair and adding volume as well as strength to your strands. It is sulfate free and works gently on damaged hair. Use it along with their thickening conditioner, which also costs around $8.
- Rogaine makes an FDA approved foam for men and women that offers up to 25 percent hair regrowth. Both foams are unscented and cost around $27. To use this product, part your hair and massage one-half capful of foam into your scalp twice a day. The site mentions it takes about four months to see noticeable results.
- Art Naturals makes an organic, argan-oil-based shampoo that helps with hair regrowth. It costs around $27 and not only helps with maintaining a healthy scalp but also prevents hair from falling out with DHT blockers. Along with other ingredients, Art Naturals uses caffeine to stimulate hair growth. This product is vegan, cruelty-free and sulfate free.
Hair can break off if you have dry strands, over-processed hair or health issues like thyroid problems and lupus. There are several ways you can keep your hair moisturized and prevent it from breaking.
- Redken Extreme shampoo costs around $35 for a 10.1-ounce bottle. With specialized ingredients, this product aims to prevent breakage and strengthen hair. Use along with their Extreme conditioner which costs around $40 and helps distressed ends look healthier.
- Carol's Daughter Repairing Anti-Breakage spray is free of alcohol, parabens, artificial colors and petroleum. It costs around $24 and uses monoi oil and coconut water to repair damaged hair and prevent breakage. To use this product shake well and spray scalp and ends.
Scalps can become dry as people age because there is typically less oil being produced. Sunburns, strong winds and heat can also cause dry scalps.
- Shine Spray by Original Moxie costs around $22 and helps keep dry hair and scalps moisturized with a lightweight oil spray. You can use this product as needed on wet or dry hair. You can also use it to get rid of fly-aways by rubbing the product between your palms and applying to your roots.
- Caviar Anti-Aging pre-shampoo treatment by Alterna works great as an intensive treatment for dry hair and scalps. Leave this product on for five to fifteen minutes once per week before you hop in the shower.
- Morrocan Oil Dry Scalp Treatment is a concentrated formula that treats dry and flaky scalps. It also relieves itchiness and irritation. It costs around $38. You apply it by splitting the hair into four sections and massaging in a few drops of the product. Leave on for five to ten minutes and then rinse it out.
Maintain and Enhance Your Color
Whether you have embraced your gray, or are color treating your hair, using the proper products can help your color last longer and look lustrous.
- To prevent your hair from getting brassy or yellowing use Matrix Total Results So Silver shampoo. It costs around $25 and also adds brightness to dull hair.
- Madison Reed Color Reviving Hair Gloss adds shine and boosts faded color which can help you go longer before getting your hair colored again. To order, pick your shade of hair color and which problems you are trying to eliminate. The site will then match you with the correct product. One tube costs around $30.
Heat from the sun or styling tools can wreak havoc on mature hair. Be sure to use products that work best for your current needs.
- Living Proof Restore Instant Protection provides heat styling and UV protection. It also adds shine and controls fly-aways and is safe for chemically treated and colored hair. It costs around $26.
- Oscar Blandi Heat Protect Spray costs around $24, and you can use it on dry or damp hair. It helps protect hair from hot styling tools, adds shine and prevents breakage.
Tips and Tricks
Along with using great products, you may also want to consider doing to maintain healthy hair.
- Heat can dry your hair out and cause more damage to thin, weak or damaged hair, so limit blow drying, flat ironing and curling your hair. If you need to use a hot tool, turn the heat down.
- Wear a hat when you are outside to protect your scalp and hair from sun damage and harsh winds.
- Try not to brush your hair when it is wet as that can tug and eventually break hair strands. If you need to brush it while it is wet, use a detangling spray.
- Limit getting your hair colored and processed as treatments can cause dryness and damage.
- With dry hair that has breakage, limit shampooing your hair to a few times a week so your scalp can retain its natural oils.
- Always use a protecting spray before using hot tools.
- If you are spending time in the sun, give your hair a spritz with a UV protecting spray.
- Leave conditioner in your hair for five to ten minutes for extra hydration.
Maintaining Healthy Mature Hair
Hair changes as people get older. Adjusting your products to fit your needs can help with hair loss, damage, dryness and breakage. If you are able, sample products so you can find the ones that work best for you.