Are you looking for crafts for senior citizens in nursing homes, on their own, or in assisted living facilities? Crafting provides seniors with a fun, inexpensive way to get creative and work on dexterity. In a recent study, the consensus was that art improved seniors' overall well-being and experience with chronic pain. Find easy craft ideas for seniors that are sure to bring a smile.
Polymer Clay Jewelry Crafts for Seniors
Working with clay is a relaxing activity that engages seniors on a tactile, visual, and creative level. Those with limited dexterity can generally mold the clay without difficulty. Simple ideas for polymer clay crafts include:
- Beads for Jewelry - Making beads out of Fimo clay is a great option for beginners.
- Clay Jewelry - Seniors may enjoy making simple charms including a bird, lace print charm and a charm with the fingerprint of a grandchild or loved one.
- Clay Patterns - Advanced clay workers can learn to make a flat pendant using textures and other techniques for a project with a bracelet and another with a pendant necklace.
Photos and Photography Crafts for Senior Adults
For seniors with an interest in photography, taking pictures can be fun, but knowing how to incorporate them into crafts can be a great way to show off your creativity. Seniors living in nursing homes, or staying in the hospital may enjoy this type of crafting because it involves meaningful photos of important people and places in their lives. The finished product can also provide comfort, without taking up too much space.
- Make a collage: Collages are a great way to express your creative interests and make unique artwork.
- Create photo magnets: Photo magnets are a small trinket that you can keep on your fridge or gift to loved ones.
Fabric and Needle Crafts for Elderly People
For seniors who love creating things from fabric, needles with large split eyes, glue guns, and Velcro help to make many projects easier. Fabric crafts are great ways to engage yourself physically and mentally, not to mention at the end of your project you have a handmade piece to wear or use for decoration. These activities can also provide comfort to seniors who are lacking daily structure, are experiencing boredom and are losing dexterity in their hands.
- Crochet a Christmas tree ornament: With the holidays coming up, spend some time creating a unique ornament for yourself or a loved one.
- Knit a scarf: Scarves are a great beginner project for those who are wanting to learn how to knit.
- Create a fabric flower brooch: This is a great project for seniors who want to use leftover fabric and ribbons to create something new.
- Make a quilt: Create a one of a kind blanket to keep you nice and cozy on chilly nights.
More Easy Crafts for Seniors
The following projects are especially great for seniors who are new to crafting. These projects are perfect for the senior who enjoys a lot of creative freedom and needs an activity to keep her mind and body engaged. These projects can also be put on hold at any point if the crafter is not feeling well or needs a break.
- Paint your old mirror: Give your décor an update with this easy project.
- Learn how to decoupage: This fun project can help you dress up picture frames, tables, chairs, and mirrors. It is also a very easy craft to learn how to do if you are a beginner.
- Make a hummingbird feeder: Re-purpose your old wine bottles and watch beautiful birds come hang out in your garden.
- Make a mosaic project: This is a creative way to engage your puzzle solving skills.
Stay Sharp With Easy Crafts for Seniors
Crafts for seniors are an excellent way to keep the mind stimulated while fostering a sense of accomplishment and pride. Crafting is a great way to pass the time, enjoy a fun activity with a friend, and reduce overall stress.