From independent or assisted living communities to board and care or nursing homes, senior living communities in southern California offer some of the best senior living accommodations in the country.
About Southern California
Although there is not a set dividing line between northern and southern California, most people regard the Tehachapi Mountains, which are approximately 70 miles north of Los Angeles, as the unofficial dividing line. The area of southern California includes the following counties:
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Bernardino
Ranging from urban and suburban areas to beachfront and rural towns, southern California has a Mediterranean climate with dry, hot summers and slightly rainy winters. But, consistently warm, sunny weather, a relaxed lifestyle and beautiful scenery make southern California an inviting place for many seniors looking for a senior living or retirement community.
Types of Senior Living Communities in Southern California
Southern California has a wide variety of senior living accommodations.
Independent Living Communities
For seniors who are able to live without assistance, independent or retirement communities are often the perfect choice. These active adult retirement communities provide recreational activities, companionship and friendship with other seniors, as well as a safe community setting.
Some independent living communities offer life care for residents. These senior living communities are called continuing care retirement communities and provide independent living, assisted living and nursing home care all within the one community.
Retire Net is an excellent resource for locating active retirement communities in southern California.
Located in Spring Valley twenty minutes east of San Diego, Lamplighter Village is an example of the numerous independent and active lifestyle senior communities found in southern California. With average temperature of 70 degrees throughout the year, seniors enjoy the swimming pools, spas and saunas anytime. The community provides many activities, a community center and storage for residents RVs.
Additional Independent and Active Senior Living Communities
- Meadowbrook, San Diego, California
- San Clemente Villas by the Sea, San Clemente, California
- Royal Holiday, Hemet, California
Assisted Living Communities
Southern California has many assisted living communities located throughout the area. An assisted living community provides a residential setting for seniors who need some assistance with certain aspects of daily life, such as medication management, bathing or cooking.
The Karlton Residential Care Center
The Karlton Residential Care Center in Anaheim, California, specializes in seniors with dementia, Alzheimer's disease, memory impairment and similar disorders. This facility provides 24-hour supervision and a full staff of medical professionals on the premises.
This beautiful assisted living community has a secured perimeter, allowing residents to walk the lovely pathways freely while remaining safe. A variety of activities are offered daily including adult education classes, pet therapy and golf on their four-hole putting green.
Additional Assisted Living Communities
- Sunshine Care, Poway, California
- Raya's Paradise Jewish Assisted Living, Los Angeles, California
- Timber Ridge Senior Assisted Living Facilities, Eureka, California
Board and Care Homes
Board and care homes are residential care facilities that generally care for up to six senior residents. Community Care Licensing, which is part of the California Department of Social Services, licenses each home. Board and care homes area a great option for seniors that may need some daily assistance and prefer a smaller type of environment.
Corona Luxury Board and Care
Located in Corona, California, Corona Luxury Board and Care is a wonderful alternative to a nursing home. This facility specializes in seniors with the following medical conditions.
- Cardiac care
- Post-operative hip recovery
- Diabetes both insulin and hemodialysis
- Dementia and Alzheimer's disease
- Parkinson's disease
Additional Board and Care Homes
- Angels Guest Home #1, Santee, California
- Adat Shalom West Hills, California
- Mom's Place, Santee, California
When seniors need professional nursing care or rehabilitation services, a nursing home is generally the best choice. Medical professionals familiar with the necessary care of the individual provide recommendations to the appropriate nursing facility.
Free Assistance for Locating Senior Living Communities
- Southern California Senior Resources offers free assistance to those looking for senior housing in the Southern California area. Licensed by the California Department of Health Services, this company helps with the following housing needs:
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Dementia and Alzheimer's care
- Board and care homes
- Nursing homes
- SSI communities
- Medicare communities
- Home Care
- Elder Home Finders is a free referral service for those looking for senior living communities in southern California.
- A Home Away From Home provides a careful evaluation process to ensure that the senior living communities they recommend are the best match for you or your loved one.