Boho clothing is also called gypsy or hippie clothing. Think of clothes in unstructured, flowing peasant styles and those with an ethnic flavor. This look also includes accessories with an ethnic look such as knitted hats and scarves and neutral colored sandals.
Ideas for the Boho Look for a Senior
Best clothing choices for a bohemian look are those made from natural fibers or drapey textiles. Earth tones are the preferred color palette as are garments made of paisley, tie-dyed or floral fabrics.
Tops and Blouses
Peasant-style tops are good building blocks for this look. Mature women may want to avoid the off-the-shoulder look, though, in favor of one with more coverage. Linen and cotton blouses are good options as they are soft and comfortable, and details like embroidery or ruffles draw the eye toward the neckline or the sleeves. This is a great way to set off whatever you consider to be your best feature. Tunic tops are also a great way to interpret this style, since they can be worn long or short, depending on your preference. Here are some good examples:
- Michael Kors Pleated Peasant Top: This print, 3/4-sleeve top with pintucked release pleats make this peasant blouse a smart choice for topping all your skirts and slacks. It's available in sizes 0X to 3X and retails for under $90.
Maxi skirts and peasant skirts are popular items for creating a bohemian look, but don't back yourself into a fashion corner. There are lots of pant choices to give you the look you want and make a nice change from wearing skirts all the time like palazzo pants or harem pants. Look for long, flared skirts in bright colors or flowered prints for boho outfits. Crinkly fabrics and border prints are also common and should include detailing features like lace, ruffles and ethnic or animal prints. Choose pants with floral or tribal inspired prints or brightly colored tie-dyed and paisley patterns. Here's some ideas to get you started:
- Lights Beam Skirt: You'll be the envy of everyone when you make an entrance at your next gathering in this eye-catching skirt from Free People. The easy pull-on style is a midi length and features an asymmetric hemline, all of which are signature boho elements while the mixed print adds an Eastern ethnic flair. It comes in sizes 0 to 12 and retails for $168.
Floral Maxi Skirt: Just add an embroidered peasant top or a tank to this attractive burgundy floral maxi skirt from Forever 21 for day-long comfort and style no matter what you do or where you go. It features an allover floral print and a hidden side zipper and retails for under $25. It's available in sizes S to L.
There's more to boho-themed dresses than just maxi dresses, but the maxi dress is a signature element of the style. Other features that define bohemian-inspired clothing are empire waists, laced or shirred bodices and sleeves, and ruffled or uneven hemlines. Add some romantic touches of frilly laces or intricate embroidery and beading, and you've got the look down pat. Try styles like these:
- Suite 7 Pleated Scroll Maxi Dress: Step out in style in this head-turning maxi dress from Suite 7. The richly colored, intricate pattern gives it an ultra-ethnic look. It's made of easy wear, easy care jersey cotton and comes in sizes 2 to 12. At under $75, it's a must-have purchase for the mature woman who wants to look fashion forward in her bohemian wardrobe.
To achieve an authentic look, opt for neutral colors like black, taupe or bone. Birkenstock sandals, for example, are comfortable and can be worn with skirts or pants. Other good choices are flat sandals made from leather or other natural materials, wedge sandals, or gladiator sandals. If you don't feel comfortable walking in a high wedge sandal, opt for a lower heel. For the cooler months, consider leather or suede boots. Attractive bohemian details to look for include fringes, laces, seed beading, and embroidery. These sandals would make good additions to your wardrobe:
- SoftWalk Torino: Add some bohemian pizzazz to your footwear wardrobe with this stylish pair of gladiator sandals from ShoeBuy. Their low profile is the perfect foil for all your maxi-dresses and skirts but they look just as chic with pants. They feature a one-inch heel, polyurethane outsole, a buttery soft tumbled leather upper, and come in six colors. Priced at under $100, they ship for free and come in sizes 8 to 11 (medium width).
Shelby Whipstitched Wedge Sandal: Wedge sandals are a step-up from casual but are still qualify as bohemian-inspired footwear so you can wear this style with almost any outfit. The heel is just high enough - 2.5 inches- and the soft leather upper will keep your feet comfortable in any situation and feature whipstitched flowers that adds to the bohemian look. They feature a slip-on fit, three basic colors, and retail for under $150. Choose from sizes 6 to 11 in medium, narrow or wide widths. Customers who purchased these spoke positively about the true to size fit, comfort and softness of these sandals.
Accessories are a great way to have fun with your boho fashion. For instance, buy a wide leather belt or coin-embellished belt and wear it slung low over your hips. Add a hobo bag, which is shaped like a crescent and has a shoulder strap, or go for a denim bag to complete your look. Colorful purses epitomize bohemian style, but you can also opt for a neutral tone if your outfit is colorful. Knitted scarves and hats are ideal for finishing off the look. Other good choices are long cardigan sweaters or vests trimmed with fur or fringes.
Tips for Creating Your Boho Style
Since the bohemian fashion look is an 'anything goes' fashion style, it's tempting to overdo it by piling on too many layers or accessories so keep checking the overall effect in a full-length mirror. The look you want is carefree vagabond, not penniless beggar. For best results:
- Use one or two statement pieces or accessories as signature touches such as a brilliantly colored paisley shawl paired with a plain peasant outfit, brown leather booties and hobo bag. Add some beaded jewelry in colors that complement the shawl and put on a headband or turban to finish the outfit.
- Take some risks. Part of the fun of a carefree fashion like the boho style is the freedom to express your inner artist and mix and match garments and accessories to suit your personal taste. For example, mix unexpected colors like reds and oranges with the traditional boho palette of earth tone colors.
- Most garments in a boho wardrobe should be multifunctional. For instance, a scarf may be used as a head covering, a belt, a shawl or even jewelry, tops as layering tools, and dresses as beach coverups.
No matter what accessories or styles you choose, enjoy yourself and have fun creating a new wardrobe look. After all, being carefree and enjoying life are key components of a bohemian lifestyle.