Interested in learning whether there are there any discounts senior citizens receive? Many organizations offer special pricing just for seniors. Some companies offer discounts every day, while others have special senior discount days certain times of the week.
Additionally, different businesses vary the age at which customers become eligible to receive senior discounts. Certainly, once you are over 55, it pays to be on the lookout for opportunities to save money on everyday purchases when shopping, dining out, or traveling.
Retail Discounts for Senior Citizens
Many retail establishments offer senior citizen discounts. Kohl's, for example, offers in-store discounts to seniors on certain days during the month of December. Dates are typically announced in newspaper sale flyers and in the chain's television advertising. Burke's Outlet stores offer senior discounts every Monday. Shoppers over the age of 50 receive 15 percent off any purchase made in a Burke's Outlet store.
hese are just a few examples of retail discount opportunities seniors may be able to enjoy.
Restaurant Discounts for Seniors
Because so many restaurants offer seniors discounts, free appetizers or desserts, or early bird specials, it's a good idea to ask about discount programs every time you visit a new restaurant.
Fine dining restaurants and those that cater to business travelers aren't likely to offer reduced rates for seniors. Casual dining establishment, cafeterias, and fast food chains, however, frequently have discount programs for mature customers. Major restaurant chains that offer reduced pricing for seniors include Golden Corral, Ryan's and many others.
Travel Discounts for Senior Citizens
Seniors who are consistent about inquiring about special discount programs can save a significant amount of money when traveling.
- National Park Service Senior Pass: Seniors can enjoy greatly reduced admission to America's National Parks with a senior pass. For just $10, seniors can purchase a lifetime pass that includes unlimited admission to all federal parks and recreation sites, as well as significant discounts on amenities within the facilities, such as camping, boat launch fees, and more.
- Hotel Discounts for Senior Citizens: The next time you book a hotel room, be sure to ask whether there are there any discounts senior citizens receive before finalizing your reservation. A few of the many available senior hotel discount opportunities include:
- Best Western - Travelers 55 and older, as well as any customers who hold AARP memberships, receive a 10 percent discount on room rates at Best Western properties. Additionally, seniors who request discounts can receive value-added benefits, including complimentary upgrades, early check-in, late checkout, and more.
- Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) - Individuals 62 and older receive reduced rates on rooms at U.S. based IHG properties. Lodging facilities operated by IHG include: Candlewood Suites, Crowne Plaza, IHG, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Staybridge Suites.
- Marriott - Seniors can save 15 percent or more when staying at a Marriott property, which include Marriot, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Renaissance, Residence Inn, Spring Hill Suites, and TownePlace Suites.
- Campgrounds and RV Parks: Many camping facilities in state parks and private campgrounds offer discounts rates to senior citizens. Before setting out on and RV trip, contact the Visitors Bureau in the area you plan to visit and request contact information for local campgrounds with special pricing for seniors.
Entertainment Discounts for Seniors
- Tourist Attraction Discounts for Seniors - Most tourist attractions offer discounts for senior visitors, including theme parks, museums, and more. Any time you are visiting an attraction, be sure to inquire about discount opportunities before paying the admission fee. For example, The U.S. National Park Service offers a lifetime pass for seniors aged 62 or older. The pass currently costs $10 and provides free admission to national parks for the senior and up to three other adults, as well as a discount on other park services like camping.
- Live Entertainment Discounts - Do you enjoy attended plays, music performances, comedy shows, and other forms of live entertainment? Most symphonies, playhouses, and other entertainment venues offer special pricing for senior citizen tickets.
- Movie Discounts - Most movie theaters offer reduced ticket prices for seniors. When requesting your ticket, it's important to specify that you are purchasing a senior seat.
More Ways to Find Out Are There Any Discounts Senior Citizens Receive
Because so many companies do offer senior discounts, it can literally pay to ask about savings opportunities wherever you go, particularly in restaurants and at entertainment venues. Don't assume that senior discounts will automatically be offered to you if you appear eligible. Workers don't want to risk offending customers by discussing age, so employees are often trained to refrain from offering special offers for seniors unless they are specifically requested.
Additional Resources for Information
- Many communities publish special senior discount cards or offer other types of senior savings programs. For information specific to your residence, or places you plan to visit, contact your local Area on Aging.
- You may also want to sign up for the free newsletter offered by SeniorDiscounts.com. While the newsletter is free to anyone who completes the online subscription form, there is a fee to become a member of the website.