Considered by many to be the conservative answer to AARP, the American Seniors Association, is the choice of many senior citizens interested in joining a group that provides information and services.
The American Seniors Association: A Brief History
Started in 2005 by founder Jerry Barton, The National Association for Senior Concerns gave individuals an alternative choice to joining the AARP. The organization, commonly known as NASCON, was aimed at conservative seniors with the purpose of representing their political and philosophical views and lobbying for their beliefs.
Within its first few months of operation, NASCON was recognized and hailed by:
- Writer Brian McNicoll of The Heritage Foundation
- Steve Forbes of Forbes Magazine
- Newsman Sean Hannity of Fox News
- TownHall.com publisher Drew Bond
- Former game show host, Peter Marshall who is the honorary Chairman and spokesperson for the organization
As NASCON began to add services to its initial mission, the name was changed to the American Seniors Association, also called ASA.
The Four Pillars of the ASA
The ASA calls its core beliefs on major key issues The Four Pillars. These issues are:
- The reform of the Medicare system
- The reform of the Social Security system
- A tax reform based on a Fair Tax
- A strong stand issues such as illegal immigrants and Social Security
Services and Benefits of ASA Membership
The insurance products offered through ASA are provided by several different insurance companies including Liberty Mutual Insurance, Ameritas Life Insurance Corporation and the Kanawha Insurance Company.
ASA members receive discounts for the following types of insurance services:
- Term life
- Long term care
- Critical illness insurance
- Medicare supplemental
- Medicare advantage plan
- Medicare part D prescription drug plan
Discounts on Prescriptions
The ASA provides its members with a prescription card that can be used in more than 51,000 pharmacies across the U.S. Prescription discounts of up to 55 percent off of generic medications and 15 percent off of namebrand medications are available to premium members.
An explanation of the types of Medicare supplemental insurances and free quotes of the costs are available TO ASA members.
Members of the ASA receive a discounted membership to the Paragon Motor Club which offers several programs.
- A roadside assistance program that provides 24-hour assistance, 7 days a week, throughout the U.S. and Canada. Members choose between a classic and advantage benefit package.
- A road hazard protection program covers tires, wheels and rims from road hazards such as potholes, construction debris and rocks.
- A program that offers extended warranties for most vehicles
ASA members enjoy discounted travel benefits and the ease of making all travel arrangements from the member vacation center. Booking arrangements include:
- Vacation packages
- Hotel rooms
- Travel insurance
- Car rentals
ASA Credit Card
The chance to apply for an ASA select rewards visa platinum card issued by U.S. Bank.
Joining the ASA
The membership fee for ASA is $15 per year. However, if you send in your torn-up AARP membership card, you receive your second year of ASA membership for free.
Contact Information for the ASA
If you are interested in finding out more about the organization, you can call a representative at 1-800-951-0017, contact them by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the ASA website at Americanseniors.org
To contact the ASA by mail, write to: American Seniors Association, 3700 Mansell Road, Suite 220, Alpharetta, Georgia, 30022
The American Seniors Association is open to membership for individuals of any age. The organization feels all Americans are affected by current proposals on healthcare, tax reform and other political issues, and membership should not be limited to only one sector of the population. .